Friday, February 24, 2006

Eclipses


Things have been taking on a new intensity for me since the last full-moon. I've been a kind of moon watcher most of my life. I'm usually always aware of the cycles of the moon, particularly when it is going to be a full moon. It can be a time of emotional intensity for me, either pleasant or stressful. The effects of the full moon is well established in human lore. After all, the word "lunacy" refers to some craziness around the time of the full moon, no doubt. Also, the werewolf is fabled to come out on a full moon. Ask any maternity ward nurse and she will tell you that more births will happen around the full moon. Indeed we can see the effects of the moon cycles evident in the ebb and flow of the ocean's tides. So, if this is the case, then what does it mean for when a lunar or solar eclipse happens? Actually, both lunar and solar eclipse always happen in pairs at two-week intervals. These are not necessarily total eclipses, or seen from the same place on earth, but the events always happen 14 days apart from each other. For me, a lunar eclipse energetically means the same thing as a full moon, only more so. A lunar eclipse is when the earth blocks the light of the sun from shining on what would normally be a luminous full moon.

This event is on its way presently. We are due for a lunar eclipse on the 15th of March. Then on March 29 we are scheduled for a total eclipse of the sun, Visible in Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria, Niger, Libya, the northwest tip of Egypt, Turkey, northwest Georgia, southwest Russia, Kazakstan, the southern tip of Russia, and ends in the northern tip of Mongolia. The lunar eclipse on March 15th will be visible in some parts of the United States in the morning. If you really want more technical information about the eclipses, I recommend Nasa's Eclipse Page. If you would like to think about the eclipses in terms of what they might mean for you emotionally, evolutionally, or astrologically I would recommend what Susan Miller says about what eclipse mean for us in general on her website astrologyzone.com. This article compels one to consider it a time of possible spiritual quickening. It may present us with a challenge to change our life suddenly in ways we may not have thought possible, in a short time frame. Eclipses can bring about disturbing changes or perhaps it could be described at a time of metamorphosis. That is more like what I think I am going through right now, a metamorphosis.

If you think about metamorphosis, Merriam-Webster gives the following definitions: 1 a : change of physical form, structure, or substance especially by supernatural means b : a striking alteration in appearance, character, or circumstances 2 :a marked and more or less abrupt developmental change in the form or structure of an animal (as a butterfly or a frog) occurring subsequent to birth or hatching. A change of form by supernatural means? I think that's what's happening to me. And I think it has to do with those dreams and visions I've been working to manifest. I'm thinking a lot of changes are happening for me now. My work is changing. My home has been source of possible change as well. And, I have intense feelings at this time period which seem to be driving the changes. My heart often feels open and raw. It is painful at times, but hopeful at other times. It feels better as I put my energy into the things I want to see happen, the positive changes in my life. The power of the practice of conscious creation is greater now, as the eclipses bring events more quickly into play.

One last thought about metamorphosis. Just imagine what a struggle it is for the catepillar to cocoon himself and transform into a butterfly. Imagine the joy spring gives for the newly emerged butterfly.

  • March 15. Penumbral eclipse of the Moon.
  • March 29. Total eclipse of the Sun. Visible in Brazil, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Niger, northwest Chad, Libya, the northwest tip of Egypt, Turkey, northwest Georgia, southwest Russia, Kazakstan, the southern tip of Russia, and ends in the northern tip of Mongolia.
  • Sept. 7. Partial eclipse of the Moon. Visible from parts of Antarctica, Australia, Asia, Africa, and Europe including the British Isles.
  • Sept. 22. Annular eclipse of the Sun. Visible in Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, the South Atlantic Ocean, and ends southwest of the Kerguelen Islands

No comments: